No. 16-Pres/2005 – The President is pleased to institute a medal for recognition of the services of Armed Forces personnel and civilians in the ‘OP PARAKRAM in 2001; and in this behalf, to make, and establish the following ordinance
Firstly The medal shall be styled and designated the “OP PARAKRAM MEDAL” (hereinafter referred to as the medal).
Secondly The medal shall be circular in shape, made of cupro-nickel, 35mm in diameter and fitted to a plain horizontal bar with standard fittings. It shall have Map of India and inscription “ OPERATION PARAKRAM” embossed both in Hindi and English along the rim. On its reverse it shall have State Emblem embossed in a circle. A sealed pattern of the medal shall be deposited and kept.
Thirdly The medal shall be worn suspended from the left breast by a silk Riband 32 mm in width having three equal parts of Blue, Olive Green and Sand colour, starting left to right. Blue and Olive Green parts shall be separated by a white stripe 2mm in width. Olive Green and Sand Colour parts shall be separated by a red stripe of 2mm in width.
Fourthly The medal shall be awarded to the personnel of the following forces
- To all categories of personnel who were borne on the effective strength of the Army, Navy and Air Forces and were mobilized/deployed/involved in planning and conduct of operations at various Headquarters in support of OP PARAKRAM.
- All ranks of the Para Military Forces, Central Police Forces, Railway Protection Forces, Civil Defence personnel, State Police personnel, Home Guards, civilian personnel and personnel of the other organization as specified by Government who were deployed in operational areas under Army’s operational control or any other personnel of such organization deployed in areas as may be specified by Government, who assisted in implementing, coordination and conduct etc of operation.
- All personnel on the effective strength of the Coast Guard who were operationally deployed at sea or were part of the operational planning at various Headquarters.
- Civilians of either sex serving regularly or temporarily under the orders/directions of supervision of the above mentioned forces in operation areas.
- Civilians deployed for Local Naval Defence, War Watching Organizations, Naval Control of shipping and Examination Services.
Fifthly The qualifying areas for the purpose of this medal shall be as given below
All personnel from ships, submarines, aircraft, coast batteries and coastal defence forces, War Watching, Naval Control of Shipping, Examination Services, including Coast Guard units that were deployed at sea in the Indian Ocean, Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal including the Andaman Sea and involved with operational activities of OP PARAKRAM.
This includes all personnel ashore at Naval Headquarters, Command Headquarters, Flag Officer Maharashtra Area and Flag Officer Goa Area headquarters, Naval Officer-in-Charge staff that were actually involved with operational, logistics and administrative planning of OP PARAKRAM.
Sixthly Period of Eligibility
- A person who has completed aggregate service of 180 days in qualifying area. The qualifying period for the Medal will not count towards any other medal instituted for that area for same spell of service.
- Personnel of Army Aviation Corps, Navy Air Squadrons, air crew of Air Force, ejection crew of Air Despatch units and personnel borne on the effective strength of Air Maintenance Battalions/Coast Guard Air Squadrons who have carried out a minimum of five operational sorties or twenty hours of operational flying in/over the qualifying area.
- All recipients of gallantry series of awards during OP PARAKRAM irrespective of the time limit or a person who died in service or was evacuated as a result of wounds or other disabilities attributable to service in the qualifying area irrespective of the time limit or number of operational sorties or number of operational flying hours shall be eligible for this medal.
- All Naval/Coast Guard personnel on board Naval, Coast Guard, merchant ships and crafts under the operational control of the Indian Navy who have completed an aggregate service of 180 days in the qualifying area or have undertaken an aggregate of five armed patrol sorties in the qualifying area.
Seventhly It shall be competent for the President to cancel and annul the award of the medal to any person, and also to restore it subsequently.
Eighthly It shall be competent for the Govt to frame such instructions as may be necessary to carry out these ordinances.