President’s Secretariat Notification No 3-Pres.73 dated 17 Jan 73.
Conditions of Eligibility and Eligible Categories
Awarded to all personnel of the following forces who participated in operations against Pakistan forces in and around the western borders of Indian on the ground, on the sea or in the air. The minimum qualifying service shall be one day in the battle zone or one operational sortie., In the qualifying areas it shall be minimum of 10 days service or one operational sortie or a total of 3 flying hours as members of crew
- All ranks of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force, of any of the Reserve Forces, of the Territorial Army, J&K Militia and of any other armed forces of the Union;
- All ranks of the Railway Protection Force, Police Force, Home Guards, Civil Defence Organisation, and any other organisation specified by Government; and
- Civilians of either sex serving regularly or temporarily under the orders/directions or supervision of the above-mention Forces.
Battle Zones and Qualifying Areas
(Refers to Map India and Adjacent countries 5th Edition)
(40 miles) and J&K, LADAKH and PUNJAB ¼” sheet Nos 52-E, 52-F, 52-B, 52-C, 52-A, 43-P and 52-D).
- From the above point areas North of line joining Suigam-Bhuj-Lakhpat-Kori creek.
- Arabian Sea and adjoining sea areas and Indian Ocean West of longitude 800 35’ East.
- Ports – Rozi, Okha, Porbandar, Veraval, Bombay, Cochin, Goa, Diu, Head Tarapore, Koyoli areas around these.
Period of eligibility
The period of eligibility shall be from 3rd December 1971 to 20 December 1972(both days inclusive).
Design of the Medal and Riband
Medal Medal shall be in the form of a five pointed star with bevelled rays, made of tombac bronze 40 millimetres across with one point uppermost to which shall be fitted a ring for the Riband. On the obverse in the centre, it shall have the State Emblem with its motto superimposed and circular band (2 millimetres in width and 20 millimetres in diameter at its outer edges) surrounding the State Emblem and broken at the top by the heads of the lions. On this band shall be the inscriptions “PASCHIMI STAR” on either side of the State Emblem in raised letters. The reverse of the medal shall be plain.
Riband 32 Millimetres in width of clarot background with three while vertical stripes of 2 millimetres in width in the centre.