During the peak of the Second World War, the Royal Navy felt the need to augment training facilities in the domain of Torpedo handling and operations. HMIS Valsura was created to fulfill this need and serve as the Torpedo Training School.
The establishment was built on Rozi Island in Jamangar, a site donated by the ruler of Nawanagar state, Colonel Digvijay Singhji Jadeja Sahed Bahadur, Jamsaheb. A kind and noble hearted royal, he agreed to part with 30 acres of land from his game reserve for a token rent of Rs.1 per annum.
Valsura parade ground
The establishment was commissioned on 15 December 1942 by then Maharani Gulab Kunverba Sahiba of Nawanagar.A few months after India became a republic , HMIS Valsura was renamed as Indian Naval Ship Valsura.
Commissioning by Maharani Gulab Kunverba Sahiba of Nawanagar