Overview of INS Adyar
The Navy Office at Chennai came into existence in early 1940s with Capt RA Malhuish RIN as its first Naval Officer-in-charge. The Local Defence Flotilla was formed in the same year followed by Local Naval Defence Reserve. The future expansion plans were laid and executed during 1941–42 by Capt CJ Nicholl DSC RIN. In 1942, a separate naval barracks with accommodation for more than 1500 men and cabin accommodation for more than 75 officers were built. INS Adyar was subsequently commissioned after the river Adyar which runs through the southern part of the city. By 01 Apr 1946, the strength was reduced to bare minimum and NOIC was re-designated as Resident Naval Officer.
Roles / Functions
INS Adyar was re-commissioned on 19 Feb 1954 as the Base Support Ship to support units under NOIC (Madras) at Chennai as well as outlying units including Naval Detachments established along the Tamilnadu Coast for Op Tasha under the administrative control of NOIC (Visakhapatnam). On 06 Jun 1968, the RNO was re-designated as NOIC (Madras) under the control of Flag Officer commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command. The Commanding Officer, INS Adyar is also assigned the additional duties of NOIC (Madras). The unit shifted to its present location on 30 Oct 81. Since then, the roles and responsibilities of Commanding Officer, INS Adyar and NOIC (Madras) have been increasing steadily and his area of responsibility has been extended to entire Tamilnadu and Puducherry upto Pamban Pass.
On 01 Jul 1997, NOIC (Madras) was re-designated as NOIC (Tamilnadu and Puducherry) and on 03 Jul 1997 the charter of NOIC (Tuticorin), which were earlier delegated to INS Kattabomman, were also placed under the jurisdiction of Naval Officer-in-Charge (Tamilnadu and Puducherry).