D G N P (V)
Engineering Hall at SBC (Vizag)
The DGNP(V) at Visakhapatnam was established in Jul 1967 at the Naval Base Vizag for setting up a composite complex consisting of Naval Dockyard, Training School Complex and a Naval Base as per the Soviet Project Report (SPR). However, over the years, the charter and responsibility of the organization have increased and DGNP(V) has been involved in creation of facilities for the Ship Building Centre, creation and up gradation of facilities for INS Eksila and Naval Dockyard under the Annual Technical Works Programme and other miscellaneous works entrusted by Headquarters Eastern Naval Command under the Annual Major Works Programme. DGNP(V) is an inter services Organization with Technical and Engineering Staff from Indian Army, Navy and Civilians from MES, Defence Accounts and local recruitment.
DGNP(V) is headed by an officer of the rank of Vice / Rear Admiral who is designated as the Director General. He is assisted in his duties by four Heads of Departments, namely the Planning, Works, Equipment and Finance departments headed by Brigadiers or equivalent.
Function / Role
The role of the organisation is to create and upgrade technical, marine and civil infrastructures of highest quality standards for Naval Dockyard Visakhapatnam and INS Eksila, as also for executing any technical project being tasked. The unit’s credo of ‘QUALITY INFRASTRUCTURE ON TIME’, is well expressed in the Vision Statement which reads as “ To become a world class organisation for creation and up-gradation of quality infrastructure to enable Indian Navy to discharge its duties in the most efficient and effective manner”
The following technical / marine infrastructures have been constructed by DGNP(V) at various locations in and around Visakhapatnam :-
Finger Jetties at Vizag
- Finger jetties where operational ships are berthed.
- Three Dry Docks.
- A 600 ton Slip Way.
- Jetty N-14 Alpha.
- Heavy Duty Bridge for connectivity between Site A & B at SBC.
- Main Receiving Station at SBC
- Jetty X with covered shed and Jetty Z.
- Special Safety Services at SBC Building A & B.
- 100 Ton Hammer Head Crane at Jetty Z.
- Submarine Advance Underwater Warfare Training Centre at INS Satavahana.
- Engineering Hall at SBC.
- Missile Hangars at INS Kalinga.
- Caisson Gates.
- 60 Hz Supply Up gradation.
- Integrated Dry Dock Complex.
- Berthing Pontoon for SPV.
- Special purpose Machine tools for ND(V) & Eksila