Material Organisation (Karwar)
Material Organisation, Karwar, functions under the Administrative control of Headquarters, Western Naval Command and the Material Superintendent is directly responsible to the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (through HQFO (K)) for efficient functioning of the Organisation. The depot is spread over four Sq Km within the Naval Base and houses four storehouses, an open storage yard, Industrial Canteen and the administrative building. The organisation has a combined storage capacity of 6978 Sqm.
The functional responsibilities include the following:-
- Provide the material needed to operate and maintain the ships and establishments of Western Naval Command at Karwar, ships at Goa and establishments at Bangalore and Mysore.
- Provide material support to Naval Ship Repair Yard, Karwar for refits of ships/submarines.
- Provide material in the most cost-effective manner.
- Ensure the surge capability needed for war.
The organisation has undertaken a large number of initiatives to meet the growing responsibilities being tasked. These include:-
- Commissioning of the Software Integrated Automated Storage & Retrieval System and palletisation of oil drums to enhance the available warehousing capacity.
- External focus on customer satisfaction by having regular MILANs to resolve issues and introduction of Ship’s Dossiers for better Knowledge Management.
- Internal focus on Human Resources Development by commissioning an in-house developed Personnel Information Management System, creation of a Training Cell with a structured training programme and dossiers for civilian personnel.