- Any person who has served in the Royal Indian Navy, the Indian Navy including Short Service Commission and the Naval Reserves as a Commissioned Officer, is solvent and of sound mind, and has not been convicted by a Court of Law in a criminal case, shall be eligible to become a member of the Foundation.
- Serving Naval Officers whilst holding the appointments of Chief of the Naval Staff, Principal Director of Ex-servicemen Affairs, Principal Director of Non-Public Funds, and Judge Advocate General shall be the ex-officio members of the Foundation with full voting rights.
Categories of Members
There shall be the following categories of members of the Foundation :-
Any person who is eligible to become member under rule 3 above, may become a member for life on payment by him of the subscription as may be specified in these rules and regulations from time to time.
The Governing Council may at its discretion invite eminent persons interested in maritime affairs to become Honorary Members of the Foundation. Widows of Naval Officers may also be invited to be the Honorary Members of the Foundation with voting rights.Honorary membership unless specified for a period will be for life. No subscription shall be payable for such membership.
Members with Foreign Citizenship
Indian Navy veterans with foreign citizenship will continue to be enrolled members of the Navy Foundation at any chapter. Should such veterans be in India and are in a position to attend a event being held in a Defence environment (eg. mess or service institution) their security clearance from DNI will be sought by the concerned chapter.
Members shall, at the time of admission, pay a fee of Rs 2000/- (Rs. 1,500/= as one time life membership fee and Rs. 500 towards entry fee) to be retained by the respective chapter. In the event of the member moving to another chapter within one year of retirement from the IN, the full amount is to be transferred from the old to the new chapter. On moving to another chapter after one year only the one time life membership of Rs. 1,500/= is to be transferred from the old to the new chapter.
Members shall have voting right at the General Body Meetings of the Chapters. Honorary members and members with Foreign Citizenship may attend such meetings but shall have no rights to vote.
Cessation of Membership
The membership of any person shall stand automatically terminated on his/her death or resignation.
The Executive Council shall be entitled to terminate the membership of any person, if a resolution is passed by it that a member has acted in a manner prejudicial to the aims and objects of the Foundation. The membership shall stand terminated from a date as specified in the resolution or from the date of passing of the resolution if no such date is stated.
In addition, the Executive Council may order the termination of membership of any person, if it is satisfied that:-
- He/she has been found to be of unsound mind by a court of law, or
- He/she has been convicted by a criminal court of an offence involving moral turpitude, or
- He/she has been declared insolvent by a court of law.
A person where membership has been terminated or who has resigned may be required to pay the subscription again if his re-admission is approved by the Executive Council.