President Secretariat Notification No 48-Pres/87 dated 17 Jul 1987.
The persons eligible for the medal shall be as under
- All ranks of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force, Territorial Army and of any other Armed Forces of the Union.
- All ranks of the Railway Protection Forces, Police Forces, Home Guards, Civil Defence Organisation and civilians of either sex operating under the orders/ directions/supervision of the above mentioned forces.
- All ranks of the Army, and IAF who took part in the initial action to secure Bila Fondla NJ 8888 Siala ND 7011 Indira Col and area North of Base Camp, through vertical envelopment.
- Personnel physically present in the area for a day or night in area North of Base Camp NK 1963 during the period 12th April to 18th April, 1984.
- Personnel with a minimum stay of 30 days in the qualifying area. The time spent in captivity, in consequence of capture in operations in the area will count towards the qualifying period.
- All IAF and personnel of AOP and Air maintenance Battalions who have flown at least three operational or maintenance sorties in support of the Operation during the period 12th April to 18th April 1984 and then operational or maintenance sorties after 18th April, 1984.
- All Commanders and Staff Officers directly responsible for the operation who have done ten visits to the qualifying area.
- All personnel who have earned a gallantry award or Mention-in-Despatches or died or sustained wounds or were disabled irrespective of time of limit of stay.
- All civilian porters who have spent a minimum of 30 days in the qualifying area.
The qualifying areas for the medal shall be as under
North West of line joining NL 628181-PT 4505 in NL 655160 STARGEYAKLS NL 677155 comma Warshi NL 937358 comma MOMOSTONG KANGRI NM 147465 AND Kadpa Ngonpo NM 311893 (Refers to Maps China/Jammu and Kashmir, Scale : 1:2,50,000 Sheets No 52B, 52E and 52F)
Design of the Medal and Riband
Medal The medal shall be circular in shape, made of cupro-nickel, 35 millimetres in diameter and fitted to a plain horizontal bar with standard fitting. It shall have on the obverse, snow covered high mountains with a long glacier running through it and a soldier in snow clothing with his rifle standing at the far end of the glacier as if guarding it. A helicopter shall be shown hovering on the top. On its reverse, it shall have the STATE EMBLEM with inscription “SIACHEN GLACIER MEDAL” on the sides both in English and Hindi.
Riband The medal shall be worn suspended from the left breast by a silk Riband, 32 millimetres in width. The Riband shall be divided in three equal parts of granite grey, white and granite grey colours respectively.