CLEAN AND GREEN NAVY
The Indian Navy formally adopted the ‘Green Initiatives Programme’ on the World Environment Day last year i.e. 05 Jun 14 with an aim to integrate the philosophy of energy efficiency and environment conservation in all this spheres of naval domain and in line with the national energy and environment goals. A comprehensive Indian Navy Environment Conservation Roadmap (INECR) has been promulgated with short, medium and long term goals to be pursued by units/ establishments.
A few significant steps undertaken in the past year, aimed at energy conservation and energy sustenance are:-
- Use of capacitor banks for power factor management for achieving near unity power factor.
- Commissioning of Bio-Gas/ effluent treatment plants towards waste recycling.
- Afforestation and cleanship drives as part of ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’.
- Experiments and evaluation of bio fuel with considerable thrust on adopting renewable energy sources.
- CNS Rolling Trophy in Industrial and Non Industrial categories instituted to incentivise unit level pursuits towards green initiatives.
- Green Cell formed at NHQ to co-ordinate and monitor PAN Navy implementation of the Green Initiatives.
With the energy and environment policies firmly in place and mechanisms for its implementation institutionalised, the Indian Navy on World Environment Day 2015, has set new targets for reduction in consumption of energy/ commodities by leveraging technology. The relentless pursuits of Green goals by Indian Navy would aid in boosting the national interests of environment sustainability and self reliance in energy, and initiatives on this front would be showcased during IFR 2016.