1. General Information: -
(a) Command: The hospital is commanded by Surgeon Commodore B Fanthome a distinguished Surgical Oncologist of the Indian Armed Forces. He took over the reins of INHS Kalyani on 26 Jun 2009.
Change of Command Divisions
(b) Details of Raising: INHS Kalyani, the only Naval Hospital in the Eastern Naval Command was inaugurated by Vice Admiral R D Katari on 26 Apr 1962 by converting sickbay INS Circars into a Naval Hospital. It was commissioned on 18 May 1962 as a 60 bed hospital within the premises of INS Circars by the first Commanding Officer Surg Cdr Manindra Chandra Nath. In 1966 the crest of INHS Kalyani was published in NO 97/66. The crest depicts a lotus flower with the rising sun in the background depicting life and health which is the major mission of INHS Kalyani. The word Kalyani means “Auspicious” and also refers to the holy temple baths of the scriptures that are credited with healing powers. A dip in the holy bath is considered enough to cure all physical ills and provide mental peace and tranquillity. The name was chosen to represent the holistic healing Change of Command Divisions Visit of Mr Chester Bowles 01 Aug 64 process being bestowed on all who come into contact with INHS Kalyani. The word “Kalyani” is also the name of the Goddess of Welfare.
Visit of Mr Chester Bowles 01 Aug 64
(c) Achievements and Major Milestones in History: Over the last 48 years, the hospital has successfully delivered comprehensive health care to serving and retired Armed Forces personnel and their families. The hospital has also provided disaster relief to earthquake victims, cyclone afflicted civilians as well as those affected by the Tsunami in India and abroad. Despite being restricted by Govt Sanction for personnel and infrastructure dating back to 1978 when the Bed Strength was 185 beds, the hospital has handled the increasing workload with dedicated application of all available resources to meet set targets of professionalism in patient care. In 1986 the hospital completed a smooth transition to its new location from the cramped premises inside INS Circars. In 1991 the hospital’s bed strength was enhanced to 302 with 4 additional beds for the Coast Guard. After several years of optimal use of resources the Operation Theatre was refurbished and a new modular OT was inaugurated by the DGMS (Navy) on 07 Aug 09. Currently work is in hand to install a 16 Slice CT Scan, refurbish the ICU and the Officers Ward Room as well as to green the hospital premises. The hospital is housed in buildings with a total plinth area of 27,000 sqm of which 16,000 sqm is devoted to patient care areas. There has been a determined effort to upgrade the facilities available at INHS Kalyani and bring them at par with those available to personnel posted to units in other Naval Commands. In Apr 2010 the Government has accorded AIP for the upgradation of INHS Kalyani to a Command Hospital with 600 + 4 Beds.
INHS Kalyani has not only been rendering comprehensive health care to the dependent population but also has been participating in community outreach programs to enhance the role of Indian Navy as an Ambassador of Goodwill.
The hospital celebrated her Silver Jubilee with outreach programs and the release a special First Day cover on 18 May 1987. Majority of the seven officers who were serving at INHS Kalyani and signed the cover have risen to high positions including three to the rank of Surgeon Rear Admiral and equivalent
|Commissioning Ceremony||Visit of Babu Jagjivan Ram 19 May 1971|
|Visit of Shri R Venkataraman 02 Oct 1983||First Day Cover 18 May 1987|
(i) The role assigned to INHS Kalyani is to provide indoor and outdoor medical care and treatment to entitled defence services personnel, ex-servicemen and their families and to be ready at all times to provide medical aid and treatment to casualties sustained during Naval Operations as well as to provide medical teams to embark along with units being deployed.
3. Honours and Awards: (Last Three years)
|Annual Inspection 2010||Release of Kalyani Calling by FOCINC East|
|Sl. No||Rank||Name||No.||Date of Award|
|01||Surg Capt||NK Mahesh||75424-T||26 Jan 10|
|01||Surg Cdr||SS Chopra||79046Z||15 Aug 08|
|02||T Hari Babu||LMA||121162W||15 Aug 08|
|03||Lt Col(MNS)||Saly Lucose||NR 18341N||04 Dec 08|
|01||Surg Cdr||DK Sahu||75581-Z||15 Aug 09|
|02||POM||SD Singh||170720-A||04 Dec 09|
|01||S Singh||POMA||115901N||15 Aug 08|
|02||MP Ansari||LMA||126251K||15 Aug 08|
|03||G Singh||LCK(S)||153099B||15 Aug 08|
|04||Lt Col(MNS)||KUNJUMOL P||NR 180018Y||04 Dec 08|
|05||RA Mishra||POMA||172250B||04 Dec 08|
|06||MM Khadse||POMA||115672T||04 Dec 08|
|01||Surg Lt Cdr||A Chakranarayan||79065-T||15 Aug 09|
|02||Lt Col (MNS)||KV Saraswathy||NR-09356-H||04 Dec 09|
|03||GP Shah||MCPOM-II||146875-H||04 Dec 09|
|04||Karnal Singh||CPOM||113916-A||04 Dec 09|
|05||PK Yadav||POM||179046-Z||04 Dec 09|
|06||V Bharadwaj||LSA||126277-W||04 Dec 09|
|01||J Kumar||POCK (S)||152460 F||11 Mar 10|
|02||Ram Kumar||POM||178932 R||11 Mar 10|
4. Patient Services
Annual Inspection 2010
Release of Kalyani Calling by FOCINC East
(A) OPD Services
- No of OPDs-14
- INHS Kalyani OPD Timings 0730-1330 on all Working Days
|OPD||Days||Offers, Sailors, Ex-Service Men, Dependents|
|Cardiology||All Days(Except Wed: Procedure Day)||DO|
|Nephrology||Thursday(1000 to 1330 Hon Consultant)||DO|
|Oncology||All Days (By Appointment)||DO|
|Orthopaedic||Thursday & Saturday (Hon Consultant)||DO|
|Gynaecology||Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat (Tue, Thu: OT days)||DO|
|ENT||Mon, Tue, Thu, Sat (Wed, Fri : OT days)||DO|
|Ophthalmology||Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat (Tue, Thu: OT days)||DO|
|Dermatology||All Days (Except Tue: Procedure Day)||DO|
|Blood Collection||All Days(0730-1030)||DO|
(B) Emergency Services: - A fully equipped state of the art Casualty Centre functions 24 x 7 with following: -
- 03 Doctors
- 03 patient trolleys and 05 wheel chairs.
- Cardiac Monitor, Defibrillator, ECG machine, Pulse Oxymeter, Oxygen Concentrator, Central Oxygen Supply.
- 07 MA’s
- 01CC Van + 02 Ambulances
- All emergency medicines available.
- Emergency protocols are in place
(C) In Patient Services
(i) State of the Art Modular Operation Theatre made with two operating rooms having seamless stainless steel cladding and two with granite cladding and all modern operating and monitoring equipment. The new modular OT was inaugurated by Surg VAdm VK Saxena, AVSM, VSM, PHS, DGMS (N) on 11 Aug 09.
|Inauguration of Modular OT 11 Aug 2009||First Major Surgery in new OT|
Inauguration of Modular OT 11 Aug 2009
First Major Surgery in new OT
- State of the Art ICU
- State of the art Pathology Lab External Quality Control in Haematology, Histopathology & biochemistry are maintained by participating in Quality Control programs of AIIMS, New Delhi, AFMC Pune & CMC Vellore, CH (EC) Kolkata respectively.
- Radiology department with
- Conventional X- Ray Machines
- Colour Doppler
- 16 Slice CT Scan under installation
5. Important Events in the Recent Past
- Special Awareness Drive on Asthma. In keeping with the theme of World Asthma Day, a special education camp for the sailors and their families was jointly organized by INHS Kalyani and Station Health Organization (Visakhapatnam) at Family Clinic (Nausenabagh) on 06 Jul 09.
- Health Camp at Ponduru Village: - A free medical camp was organised at Ponduru in Srikakulam district by INHS Kalyani under the aegis of Eastern Naval Command and the Navy Wives’ Welfare Association (Eastern Region) on 02 Aug 09 to alleviate health problems of the impoverished weavers and provide spectacles to the needy.
- Lecture on Patient Empathy: - A lecture on patient empathy was organised on 05 Nov 09 to educate all the medical staff about expectations of patients from the medical fraternity and to have an empathetic approach towards their problems.
- Organ Donation Drive: - An organ donation drive was organised at INHS Kalyani on 11 Nov 09.
- DSC counselling Workshop. INHS Kalyani has conducted a series of workshops on “Life Style Diseases and Stress Management” for DSC personnel in 12 units located at Visakhapatnam and in Sunabeda from 06 Jan to 23 Feb 10.
- Workshop on Power of Thought : As part of the community awareness program a workshop on “Power of Thoughts and Stress Management” was conducted in Samudrika for the entire Command in collaboration with the World Gayatri Foundation on 09 Jan 10.
- Surgery Workshop on Stapled Haemorrhoidectomy: - A workshop on Staple Haemorrhoidectomy was conducted on 22 Jan 10.
- CME on Tuberculosis : A CME on “Tuberculosis The Changing Scenario” was conducted at INHS Kalyani on 24-25 Apr 10 which was well attended by medical officers from all the three services.
- Lecture on Nutrition in Kidney Diseases : A lecture on “Nutrition in Kidney Diseases” was delivered at Srikakulam in May 10.
- Balwadi: - A special medical examination drive was undertaken by INHS Kalyani for the children of Balwadi in May 10.
- Laparoscopy Workshop: A workshop on Laparoscopic surgery was conducted on 15 Jul 10
Health Check up for NCS Children: - A Health Check up drive for the children of Naval Children School was carried out on 03 Jul 10 in
collaboration with SHO (V).
- Relief Operations: - As part of “OP Madad” medical teams were sent to render medical aid to the population of cyclone ravaged Narsapur in Andhra Pradesh on 19 May 10.
- Air-conditioned Cafeteria As part of the overall improvement in amenities for patients the wet canteen was renovated and the new air-conditioned cafeteria was inaugurated by Mrs Madhulika Verma, President NWWA Eastern Region on 11 Aug 09.
6. A Fond Farewell: -
Surg VAdm VK Saxena, AVSM,VSM DGMS (N) visited the establishment on 23 Jun 10 he addressed all the medical officers of Eastern Naval Command and inaugurated the “New Look Ward Room Mess” of INHS Kalyani. A special green environment drive was undertaken and saplings were planted.